Wolverines Drop Shootout Thriller to Flyers

The Waywayseecappo Wolverines surrendered the lead three separate times on Tuesday night and fell 4-3 to the Winkler Flyers in a shootout.

It was the Wolverines who got off to a solid start in the first period. On a 2-on-1, Rayman Bassi made a nice feed to Conrad Phillips who wired a one-timer past Flyers Goaltender, Dorrin Luding. Jaymes Knee picked up the secondary assist on the goal.

The Wolverines would continue to get some chances after putting on the pressure. Despite that momentum, Reagan Rabbit and Austin Cardinal would both take minor penalties and the Wolverines would have to kill off a 5-on-3 for a full two minutes.

At 16:08 the Flyers would capitalize on the man-advantage. Trent Sambrook would beat Thomson Phinney on the doorstep to knot the game at 1-1.

Waywayseecappo would kill off the second penalty and head into the first intermission tied at 1-1.

Just as they did in the first, the Wolverines got off to another quick start in the second.

5:14 into the second, Anthony Bilka took a pass from Alex Lucken and used his speed to cut wide. Bilka found a streaking Brody Moffat and hit him on the tape on the back door for a tap in to give the Wolverines a 2-1 lead.

With six minutes to play, the Flyers found an answer once again. Sulivan Shortreed’s shot from distance beat a screened Thomson Phinney to tie the game at 2-2.

The Wolverines would take a late penalty in the second and have 31 seconds to kill off at the start of the third.

Another quick start in the final twenty minutes was just what the club needed. After killing off the rest of Brody Moffat’s tripping minor, the Wolverines would get their shot on the powerplay.

Nick Doyle would sneak one past Luding from a distance along the ice to give the Wolverines their third lead of the night at 3-2. Reagan Rabbit and Tyler Leibl notched assists on the powerplay goal.

It was no different than the first two periods late in the third as the Flyers would apply the pressure and see Griffin Leonard wrist one past the glove of Thomson Phinney to tie the game at 3-3 with 1:54 remaining.

At the start of overtime, the Flyers would get a breakaway that Thomson Phinney would stop to keep the game alive. Winkler would continue to press throughout the overtime period but things would head to the shootout.

In the shootout, the Wolverines were unable to solve Dorrin Luding and Winkler would get the game-winner from Justin Svenson in round two, to take the 4-3 shootout victory.

Now 7-4-2-1 on the season, the Wolverines will cap off their two-game road trip tomorrow night against the first place Portage Terriers at 7:30.