Wolverines Drop Game Three In High Scoring Affair

The Waywayseecappo Wolverines comeback fell short in game three of the MJHL’s quarterfinal best-of-seven series on Wednesday night in Portage, dropping a 7-5 decision to the Terriers and now find themselves down 3-0.

It was a nearly identical first period to how the first twenty minutes of game one played out.

Sam Huston scored his third powerplay goal of the series to give the Terriers a 1-0 lead just prior to the midway mark of the first.

Despite the lead, the Wolverines were able to find a response to tie it up. Anthony Bilka picked up a rebound in front and squeaked one under the pad of Terriers goaltender, Nathan Moore.

Less than three minutes later, the Terriers capitalized once again. This time, Reece Henry chipped one past the glove of Isaac LaBelle to give the Terriers a 2-1 lead with under four minutes to play.

After Alex Lucken got called for a hook, the Terriers would find the back of the net once again on the man-advantage when Scott Mickoski tapped one in on the doorstep to increase the Terrier lead to 3-1 heading into the first intermission.

It sure didn’t take long for the Terriers to show off their offensive ability in the second when less than three minutes into the frame, Kolton Shindle put home another one on the doorstep to make it 4-1 Terriers.

The slide would continue in the second period when Scott Mickoski scored his second of the night to put the Terriers in front, 5-1. Mickoski’s goal would end Isaac LaBelle’s night who allowed five goals on 17 shots which would see Nathan Reay make his MJHL playoff debut.

Waywayseecappo would find some life late in the second period when Nick Doyle scored with one second left on the clock to bring the Wolverines to within three goals.

After a late goal to end off the second, the Wolverines would score an early one to start the third. Captain, Jake Bestul’s wrist shot beat Moore low glove to bring the Wolverines within two goals of a tied game.

With 12:45 to play in the third, the Wolverines would get their chance on the powerplay to cut into the Terrier lead, but for the second straight game, the Wolverines would surrender a shorthanded goal when Reilly Funk beat his man and backhanded one under the bar to go up 6-3.

Cody Thompson would take a double minor for high-sticking and the Wolverines would strike on the powerplay. For the second straight game, Brandon Lawson would find the back of the net on a slick wrist shot which brought the Wolverines back within two goals.

At 13:55 of the third, Jake Bestul would get his second of the night when he picked up the puck in the slot and ripped one low glove on Moore to make it a one-goal game at 6-5.

The scoring parade would continue late in the third when Jay Buchholz would score on the powerplay to regain the Terriers two-goal lead.

The Wolverines would pull Reay for the extra attacker, but the Terriers were able to find the back of the net with one second left on the clock to take an 8-5 win and a 3-0 series lead in the best-of-seven.

Game four is set for Friday night in Waywayseecappo at 7:30 in a do-or-die situation for the Wolverines.