Stampeders Storm Back to Take Down Wolverines in Overtime

The Waywayseecappo Wolverines saw a 4-1 lead evaporate as the Swan Valley Stampeders would score three unanswered goals in the third to send the game to overtime, where Josh Tripp would score with seven seconds remaining to complete the comeback.

There’s no question the Wolverines came out to play in the first period as each line hit the ice with speed to burn. Jaymes Knee beat Stamps’ goaltender Michael Davis on a rebound in front to give the Wolverines the 1-0 lead, just 1:16 in.

The Wolverines would continue to get gain some momentum before the midway mark of the period when Gerrick Ripley was able to capitalize, beating Davis upstairs to give the Wolverines a 2-0 lead.

Swan Valley sure didn’t wait long to respond and climb their way back into the game as Bradly Goethals 21st of the season beat LaBelle ten seconds after Ripley’s goal, cutting the Wolverines lead to one.

Despite not scoring in the second period, there was no shortage of chances on both sides of the ice. Conrad Phillips put home a rebound that was quickly called no goal after a rather fast whistle from the referee. Shots on goal in the frame were deadlocked at 14-14, bringing the total to 28-25 after forty minutes.

After a scrum at the end of the second period would see both Riley Vautour and Morgan Poirier get called for roughing after the whistle, the Wolverines would be in tough to start the third. Thanks to slashing and unsportsmanlike penalties from the Stampeders, the 5 on 3 was quickly washed away as both teams would eventually get back to 5 on 5.

The next six minutes of the third period would see both teams combine to score four goals.

Jaymes Knee would get his second of the night on a funny bounce on Davis which would give the Wolverines a 3-1 lead. Goaltender Isaac LaBelle got the puck to Jack Kennedy and the pair would get assists on the play which would end up being LaBelle’s first of the season.

Just four minutes later, Brandon Lawson would get a partial breakaway and he would make no mistake as he fired home his 7th of the season to push the Wolverines lead to 4-1.

Swan Valley would turn up the intensity in a hurry and get goals from Uryga, Sudom, and Maucieri over the next six minutes to tie the game at 4-4 with just under seven minutes to play in the third.

The two clubs would require overtime, which would see Josh Tripp score his 26th of the year with seven seconds left to give Swan Valley a 5-4 victory. Swan Valley certainly pushed the pace in the final ten minutes of the third and in overtime to lead the shot clock 48-33 at the final buzzer.

Now 14-17-2-2 on the season, the Wolverines will play their final game of 2018 at home on Friday night as they host the Dauphin Kings.